onion salmonella alert 10/22/21
The FDA, along with CDC and state and local partners, is investigating a multistate outbreak of Salmonella Oranienburg infections linked to whole, fresh onions. FDA’s traceback investigation is ongoing but has identified ProSource Inc. (aka ProSource Produce, LLC) of Hailey, Idaho and Keeler Family Farms of Deming, New Mexico as a source of potentially contaminated whole, fresh onions imported from the State of Chihuahua, Mexico. Both ProSource Inc. and Keeler Family Farms have agreed to voluntarily recall red, yellow, and white onions imported from the State of Chihuahua, Mexico, with import dates from July 1, 2021 through August 31, 2021. Descriptors of these onion types include, but are not limited to, jumbo, colossal, medium, summer, and sweet onions.
Please review the information below regarding where Produce Express sources its onions:
· The onions we sell are procured from Onions Etc. located in Stockton, CA. They (Onions Etc.) are currently sourcing their products from farms in Washington and Oregon.
· Onions Etc. were sourcing onions from California growers during the period of July 1, 2021 through August 27, 2021.
· Onions Etc. does not source onions from the State of Chihuahua, Mexico, nor from ProSource, Inc. or Keeler Family Farms, for resale to Produce Express.
· Produce Express receives onions weekly and does not have onions from July and August in stock.
As of October 21st 2021 the CDC/FDA had reported a multi state outbreak of Salmonella related illnesses that have been associated with whole fresh onions from ProSource, Inc. of Hailey, ID and Keeler Family Farms of Deming, NM. Here is the info in summation:
· 652 people infected with Salmonella Oranienburg have been reported across 37 states.
· The latest illness was reported on Sept. 30th. (California currently has 9 reported illnesses)
· The CDC first received reports of illness starting on May 31st.
· The FDA has identified onions sold by ProSource, Inc. and Keeler Family Farms that were imported from Chihuahua, Mexico as the likely source of the outbreak.
· ProSource, Inc. and Keeler Family Farms have issued voluntary recalls for all their onions imported from July 1, 2021 through August 27, 2021 from the State of Chihuahua, Mexico.
We will provide updates as the situation evolves.
our food safety program
At Produce Express, we are committed to maintaining the highest quality standards of food safety. We are GAP (Good Agricultural Practices) Certified through the USDA.
We are proud to partner with farms and brokers that place as much emphasis on food safety and good agricultural practices as we do.